3 more books to my personal collection

So yesterday I was at the Halal 2011 at Expo hall 5A, and I couldn't resist going to the sale next door, at hall 5B.. which is.. none other than The Popular Book Saleee..!

It was obviously of a smaller scale than the one back in December at Suntec City, but it was fine with me. Here, books were on sale for $10, $15 or 30% off. Most were old titles and non-fiction books. (Oh, there was a section called '10 books for $10', which made me go CraZyy, but only briefly, coz I immediately found out the range of books was not my taste. heh.)

I scoured the tables at the non-fiction books area, hoping to see Greg Mortenson's books or Atlas of the World (like the one offered by The Folio Society, in March's NG mag, which I decided not to buy coz I don't think I will be buying the extra 4 books). But then again, I was not looking for anything specific, really. In the end, I bought 3 books. I must say, I immediately grabbed each one of 'em upon laying my eyes on the title.





2 reference books and 1 is a fiction by Ken Follett. I first heard his name on the Oprah show, when she was recommending The Pillars of The Earth. So at that moment I thought, "wow.. this book must be something." And thus, the author's works must be something too. So I am glad I got my hands on the sequel, despite not having read Pillars. If the story is reeeeaally good, I will let y'all know =)

The other books are about the history of mountaineering and women in history. I have never heard of The Alpine Club before, so I am looking forward to know how it was conceived, who are the people in it, plus the milestones in the field of mountaineering. General knowledge laahh..

The synopsis on the book jacket says that The Alpine Club was the world's first mountaineering club, and is Britain's only national club for Alpinists. Its history is the history of British mountaineering, and its story is the story of those with a passion for adventure who accomplished extraordinary feats againts the odds. Since the Alpine Club was founded in 1857 its members have been at the leading edge of worldwide mountaineering development and exploration.

Historica's Women, I just flipped thru.. I noticed that the 1000 years of history revolved mostly around European/American women. I can understand why this is so - I suppose their records were well-documented, as compared to their Asian counterparts in the same time or era.





Thick, aren't they? I think I will still not finish 'em next March (except for World Without End. hee)

0 comments: